A bit of Omaha history



In 1935 The "Omaha Bee" newspaper did a little article about a new hobby shop on the third floor of the Webster-Sutherland building on 16th & Howard Street.  There was a photo of Uncle Bruce, a junior at Central High school.  He was standing on a ladder with paintbrush in hand. The mural of ships at sea was, as far as we know, demolished along with the building.  The caption was, "Bruce Jepsen working on his large wall painting in Omaha's new Hobby Shop".  It's a great little article which I will share soon.  This is just a special little excerpt, "Witnesses have commended the original painting of two Spanish Galleons at sea as an exceptional work.  Jepsen has done some window poster work for downtown stores and hopes to continue art studies in Chicago after graduation".  There was also an Omaha World Herald article in 1936 about three high school art students, one of which was Bruce.  More on that later.

Comments

  1. Very nice! I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen this. How interesting. Is the ship painting you have a study for the mural? Congrats on the launch of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered that too. I don't think so for two reasons. The story behind the painting indicates it was painted later. And it is a different ship from what I can tell. there is no date on the painting so one can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a high school student doing a research project on Bruce Jepsen. Is there any way I can contact you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment