Omaha World Herald Article on Bruce

Their Dream Realized

The three sisters wanted their brother "To Be Remembered" in his hometown, Omaha, Nebraska.

My mom and her sisters were talented artists and each had successful careers in the industry. They always said to us kids growing up that our Uncle Bruce was the absolute most talented artist in the family and that none of them could compare. They also said that he loved flying as much as painting. So he was also a pilot and WWII hero. As a young girl, intrigued with American history and admittedly, handsome men, I was hooked. 

 



Bruce F Jepsen

Bruce F. Jepsen Easter Sunday 1941 Art Studio, Omaha

Flight Officer Bruce Fleming Jepson About 1944

 

I had help with my history homework from my grandmother (Bruce's mother) but in the 60's-70's (no internet) our learning was limited. Naturally my grandma was somewhat reluctant to talk about her son Bruce. We should work hard today to support our teachers and our education programs and funding. I truly believe that had I any inclination of my own significant family contribution to the founding of America, it would have made all the difference in my learning. I will add that every person, every student no matter when or where they come from, has a significant history and contribution. It is my belief that this is something we should be celebrating in America. Anyway, at that time my interest in learning was totally dependent on whatever the family could give me in detail, which was limited. Still, I hung onto every word from my family and once I became a genealogist, I fell in love with the research.

One thing that helped was that my mom and dad took us on vacation in the summer months. They educated us as we traveled through America. This was my bliss. I reveled in the dreams of living in the past. I believe my soon to be 11 year old grand daughter does as well. I just had a "Hamilton" costume delivered for her and she is thrilled. I can only hope that her interest in history persists as mine did. By the way, she knows how to do some Ancestry.com research and should soon graduate to Wikitree.com.

Though my Gold Star Grandmother, mom and Aunts have gone from our sight, I hope that somehow they and Uncle Bruce know their contributions are not forgotten. I'm proud to have accomplished this article. I'm grateful for family support and help with this article from my daughter, and for Steve Liewer at the Omaha World Herald.

https://omaha.com/news/local/history/the-life-and-art-of-bruce-jepson/collection_acbc524e-deb5-11ec-825b-db6540479752.html

https://www.adoptaclassroom.org/

https://www.nea.org/about-nea/grants-funding

https://historyforkids.org/

Ancestry.com has been helpful in making sure my grand daughter appreciates her heritage which in my opinion is a great way to keep her interested in not just American history but world history as well.  The research might at first be dull and tedious for some students, but if they understand their own personal significant family heritage, they might just enjoy the research.

Wikitree.com is advanced. It requires resources for every detail, which ensures accuracy. Also, it's free.

© Julie Ann Cambridge, Inkwashletters, 2022. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Julie Ann Cambridge and Inkwashletters with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.


 



Comments