A letter from Paul Crawford & the other tent mates.   I will share more of the letter later but wanted to share what was mentioned at the end of the letter.  It was written to Edwina, my grandmother in June of 1945, about a month after she had received official notice of her son's death.  It is the standard letter that a Mother gets from the fellow soldiers who were in combat with their loved one.  Not only is it a well written letter, it is also very heartfelt.  I am sure that it had a major impact on her ability to cope with her loss.  Lt. Paul Crawford & his family, and the other tent mates should be proud that they helped in her recovery.  In the letter Lt. Crawford mentions that he has enclosed some photos of Bruce's.  This is what was at the end of the letter...

Mrs. Jepson,

I have kept out one of the negatives and am having a few prints made of that particular one showing Bruce in the cockpit of the plane.  I hope you don't mind and I will return it as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Paul Crawford

I'm not sure I have the picture that is mentioned but I do have this one probably taken at Flight School in Texas.
Flight Officer Bruce Fleming Jepson 1917-1945 in the cockpit, probably taken in summer 1943 at Garner Field, Uvaldi, Texas.  He was proud of his flying suit.  I think it is very becoming & he made his Mother and sisters very proud.

It is nice to know that photos of Bruce were appreciated by someone other than the family.  I cherish the letter as I'm sure his mother did as well. 




Comments